This town was named from the creek upon which it is located. The first settler was Robert Marwood, in 1870. Other settlers followed in the summer and fall of 1872, in the persons of S. P. Grow, N. A. De Camp, G. H. McGee, A. J. Wright, E. Stevens and Jacob Garbough.
The first child born was a daughter of Robert Marwood, in November, 1871; the first marriage, that of Calvin Stevens to Elvira Prosser, February 14, 1876, Rev. J. R. Wolfe officiating; the first death, that of a small child of James Choat, accidentally scalded to death in November, 1871. Charles Grow was killed by falling on a circular saw in McGee's mill, April 27, 1874, and on May 1, immediately following, W. S. Metcalf died from the effects of being kicked by a
horse about a week previously.
The first public school taught in Clearwater was in the summer of 1872, in a log schoolhouse, by Mrs. Susan De Camp. Rev. Keith, a Methodist minister, preached the first sermon in the fall of 1871. The post office was established in the spring of 1872, and named Antelope, with James H. Smith for Postmaster. The name of the post office was changed to Clearwater in 1880.
G. H. McGee's sawmill was built in the spring of 1871, and the first store was opened by Dr. Tubbs in 1878.
The Clearwater Congregational Church was organized in 1873, by Rev. H. Griffiths.