The town of Burnett is located on the line between Antelope and Madison Counties. The most of the town and the railroad station are in Antelope. The town was named in honor of Mr. Burnett, first Superintendent of the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad.
A. M. Burnham was the first settler, and opened the first store in March 1880. F. Dilts came here in October 1880, and William Childers, V. B. Lewis and James Childers in 1881. April 1, 1882, Burnett contained forty inhabitants. It is pleasantly situated in the Elkhorn Valley, a short distance south of the river, and is surrounded by a very fertile agricultural region.
The first schoolhouse in the vicinity of Burnett, in Antelope County, was built in 1880, about two miles to the west, Miss Anna Hussie being the first teacher. Previously, however, a schoolhouse had been built in Madison County, about one mile east of Burnett, in 1873, in which Mrs. Alice Livingston was the first teacher, in the same year. In Burnett and vicinity there are a number of church organizations--United Brethren, Baptist, Congregationalist, Methodist and
Christian. The first sermon that was preached in the town of Burnett was by the Rev. Mr. Kidder, of Norfolk, in the depot building, very near the close of the year in 1879. The first Postmaster in Burnett was Charles Washburn, in 1880. There are now three general stores, two drug and one hardware store, one blacksmith shop and one hotel.